Thursday, June 5, 2014

Why do dogs eat grass?

Mostly, when I'm at the farm I love running about and eating all the tall grass that is around. But why do I like grass? I mean, after all I'm not a rabbit. 

As I was resourcing this topic more I found that the experts are not 100% sure why we like grass. There is not one simple answer, but different dogs may eat grass for different reasons.

Some of those reasons maybe:
  • We find it tasty
  • We are board
  • We are having stomach distress
  • We have a natural instinct to eat grass

Here are two great resources I found that can help explain this further.



Many veterinarians consider eating grass a normal dog behavior. Just make sure that there are no dangerous fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides used on the grass. This could potentially harm your dog. 

If you have any questions or concerns about your dog eating grass or any other behaviors make sure to consult your veterinarian.

8 comments:

  1. Or may be Doggies have bunny DNA in them....hehehehe,xx Speedy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat Spring grass which is nice and sweet but peeps goes nuts as it makes me sick. I never eat grass any other time of year unless I am sick. Have a fabulous Friday Spencer.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom's father in law told her, dogs eat grass if rain is on the way. This is one of those "farmer's tales", but she says it is true about 90% of the time with our family. It is also true if we have tummy trouble, but she is pretty sure we will eat grass this morning or tomorrow morning with rain on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two out of the three of my huskies like to eat grass. More often then not it makes them vomit, so I do try to limit it, but my hubby calls them cows grazing in the field! BOL!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I do not eat grass. Never have. However, I do love to rip up the grass with my teeth...I pull up big clumps and leave them around the yard. BOL
    Happy Friday, Spencer!
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  6. We eat it cause it's tasty and for belly issues
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this post! Our puppy Luke eats grass like it's going out of style. He never gets sick or anything, but I still worry about why he's doing it. Our grass is completely safe, so now I will worry less about it!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a nice piece of information provided to us about pets eating grass. Thanks for sharing such interesting information with us. We offer virtual pet tribute on our website in loving memory of your beloved pet.

    ReplyDelete