- Uff-Da (oo-fh dah): This phrase is used to express sensory overload. "Uff da, I am tired."
- Dontcha Know (doh-nt-cha noh): This term is generally tagged onto the end of sentences as a way to engage the listener and make sure they are on the same page. "Uff-Da, we got a lot of snow, dontcha know."
- You Betcha (yuu-bet-chah): This phrase means yes or you bet. "Will you be there? You betcha!"
- Pop: It's not soda or coke, here it's pop.
- Hot Dish: Most call them casseroles, here in Minnesota we call it hot dish. Recipes may vary, but all must include green beans cooked to different consistencies.
- Duck, Duck, Grey Duck: The proper way to say the children's game that involves kids running around and hitting one another on the head. "Goose" is a term involving you rear.
- The Cities: This term refers to the Twin Cities metropolitan area and the surrounding suburbs.
- Up North: This term refers to any area north of the Twin Cites. When the term is use, often people are going to their cabin that is "up north."
Hope this helps you on your next trip to Minnesota!
Have a great Monday!
Love those local phrases and words. Have a marvellous Monday.ReplyDelete
Best wishes Molly
Do you have any good recipes for bars for dogs? How about some lime green jello? :)ReplyDelete
Always good to learn a new language ;-)ReplyDelete
Close to our Toronto slang!ReplyDelete
So funny, reminds me of the movie Fargo! Love DollyReplyDelete
hi Spence... have you memorized the list? LeeAnna at not afraid of colorReplyDelete
Thank you very much. Now I know how to speak Minnestonan...Minnesotish? Uff-Da! I need to study the language a little more, Dontcha know.ReplyDelete
--Wags (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats
Nice local phrases :) Thanks for schoolin me :)ReplyDelete
Uff-da....never heard that one...gotta file that one away for all the re necks here in Okie Land!ReplyDelete
The Mad Scots
It's been a few years since I've been to MN, but I'm glad I know a few more phrases!! lolReplyDelete
Totally 'lub' all da local phrases, dontcha know! You made me and momma smile!ReplyDelete
Cute post Spencer! When I moved back east from the west coast folks called coke "pop". Interesting how different parts of the country use different words for the same thing. Spencer do you jump on the couch or the sofa?ReplyDelete
Cute post - we should do a BAWSTON one soon :)ReplyDelete
How cool! I love your pillow!ReplyDelete