Friday, September 19, 2014

Fit Friday: Fly Ball and Lure Course

In the last two weeks I have learned about two different sports for dogs, flyball and lure coursing. I have never seen or heard about these events before, but I have now witnessed flyball and was able to try out lure coursing myself.

The first one is Flyball. Here is the definition according to Wikipedia: Flyball is a dog spot in which teams of dogs race against each other from a start/finish line, over a line of hurdles, to a box that releases a tennis ball to be caught when the dog presses the spring-loaded pad, then back to their handlers while carrying the ball. Check out this video from the event we watched at the Renaissance Festival:


This past weekend at the Ragom fund raising event they had a lure course for us to try out. And of course I was going to try it.


Lure coursing is a sport for dog that involves chasing a mechanically operated lure around a set course. That day to the grass was long, which made it hard to see. After I got the swing of things I had a blast. Check out this video of my trying out lure coursing.


These two sporting events definitely would help keep us K9s in tip top shape. I would encourage everyone to try either event out. Fly ball does take some practice but lure coursing takes little to no practice.


I'm joining FitDog Friday blog hop hosted by


12 comments:

  1. We LOVE lure coursing! It's just sheer joy! Looks like you caught on quickly! We haven't tried flyball but we have watched it. I think that would be fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go Spence...that lure coursing does look like fun if my old bones could take it...Thanks for sharing and for joining the Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried the Lure Course at Goldzilla, too- you did so well, Spencer, in your video! I chased for a while, but I saw a butterfly and chased that instead. Oops. You look like you had a blast! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lure would so be my thing. Fantastic. Have a fabulous Friday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our little cairn terrier friend played fly ball. He loved it
    Snorts,
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great workout, Spencer! That sport always reminds me of Mom with my cats. They have a toy she pulls around and they chase it all over the place! Thanks for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think these would be so much fun to watch! I know my fluffies would never do something like this, but they're interesting sports!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look super fun! Way to go Spencer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like fun except for the part where you have to give up the tennis ball! And lure chasing, well that sounds like what they do in Greyhound racing so not too sure about that! Love Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  10. WooooHooooo!!! Oh Spencer, that lure coursing is right up my terrier alley!!! We do all kinds of lure chases...now I say 'we' loosely, because I haven't tried any of those myself. Ma says I'm a hyperbutt, and would be WAY too disruptive...pffffft!
    You sure looked like you had a FABulous time! I hope you can do it again soon
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. We did a Course-A-Lure a year ago and I LOVED it! I have a VERY high prey instinct and I took off after that thingie like crazy! Stanley didn't follow it so much until they put us in together. Then I ran after the thingie and Stanley ran after me. I kept wanting to do it over and over!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've never done lure coursing, I know Laika would love it. It's great because as you mention it doesn't take training to start to get the hang of it like flyball. Spencer looks like a natural :)

    ReplyDelete