Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Number One Toxin Among Dogs

Here's the scenario: You are laying on your bed, chewing on your favorite bone and all of a sudden you her a "ping." You quickly get up, run on over and you hear your owner freaking out, telling you to "LEAVE IT!" You ask yourself "normally they want me to clean up after them." What is different this time? Come to find out you human dropped one of their pills on the floor. 

Medication ingested is the number one toxin consumed by dogs across the nation. It is also the number one reason pet owners contact the Animal Poison Control Center.

These medications are not just prescription pills that are being ingested but over-the-counter and veterinarian medications as well. 

I came up with this infographic to help spread awareness and educate pet owners. Feel free to share!





I'm joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop hosted by BlogPaws.





17 comments:

  1. At our house, we have to keep all meds in the cupboard as that crazy cat bro Bert actually chewed into a pill bottle of mine one time. Bad cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a typical cat always getting into trouble! :)

      Delete
  2. That could be quite scary
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be very scary. After Kilo got into some food containing onions that was left out I have been so much more aware of what he may also get into. Better safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recently happened in our house. My puppy was so quick to grab a pill when I dropped it that she nearly swallowed it before I could get to her. Thanks for reminding us to be safe with our meds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really speaks to me. I take a variety of medications that I keep in a weekly pill container. When I take out a container dogs are very interested, since it sounds like treats! Once I even had a dog dig through my suitcase for medication! As a pet sitter, I never know how interested animals are going to be in my meds, so I have to be super careful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an important reminder. We should remember that dogs are like kids, they explore with their mouths!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great reminder. I know my heart skips a beat whenever I drop medicine with Luna around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is really scary, its so impawtant to keep meds of any kind far away from both kids & pets. Great info graphic, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's been a fear of mine since Harley came along. Both my husband and I make sure we dispense and take our medicine over the sink. Therefore if it falls - it's going into the sink and not onto the floor. Great post - I will certainly pass it on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We keep pills up high and train a good leave it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such important info. Sharing your infographic on our FiveSibes Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's fantastic! I think a lot of people are just unaware of the dangers hidden in medicine cabinets. Thanks for being part of the solution!

    Jean from Welcome to the Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good warning, Spencer! My little buddy almost got one of my prescription meds! I was terrified! One of the biggest culprits can be Rimadyl because it tastes like a dog treat. That's one of the reasons we use CanineActiv instead!

    ReplyDelete